Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Christ's School


"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also pedestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, He might be the first-born among many brethren; and who He predestined, these He also called; and whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified."
--
Romans 8:28-30


Today in chapel, I was reminded once again that God uses everything in our lives to conform us into the image of His Son. God has placed us on the earth to glorify Him with our lives. He prepares us for the service and ministry He has already planned for us.

I am attending Baptist Bible College to prepare for the mission field. I am being challenged by my professors and I am learning so much in my classes. However, what I am learning in the classroom is only one of the ways God is preparing me for future service. I so easily forget that everything He brings into my life is a way He is getting me ready to serve Him. Even though I struggle when God brings negative experiences into my life, it is for my good and the way God is making me like His Son and preparing me to serve Him.

The Bible is full of real life examples of people who poured out their lives in service to the Lord. However, when you take a closer look you see the struggles, suffering, hardships, and trials that God placed into these peoples lives to prepare them for the work He had planned for them.

Joseph of the Old Testament was hated by his brothers who sold him into slavery and then he was sent to prison under false accusations. God broke Joseph and striped him of every earthly comfort to prepare him to be second in command of Egypt.

King David also underwent many hardships and experienced great afflictions before God made Him king. God used hard things to prepare David for the job He had in mind.

God also prepares us in ways we do not even realize. He sends heartache and hurt into our lives for His purpose and for our good. We must embrace the pain because it is from God and it is good. We need to rejoice in the struggles---in the hardships and trials. Suffering is Christ's school to train to be His soldiers---His followers traveling heavenward.


No comments: