Friday, January 16, 2009

The Lord Is My Strength


How very easy it is to become overwhelmed by the waves and struggles of life. I take my eyes off of Christ for a moment and I sink beneath the waves. I focus on my little struggles and completely forget that Christ is all I need; He is my portion and my strength.

In 1 Samuel 30, David and his men arrive at their homes to find them pillaged and burned with fire. The Amalekites had taken off with all of their possessions and families leaving David and his men crushed. They wept till they had no strength to weep anymore.

What is amazing about this passage that jumped out to me is at the end of verse six: "David strengthened himself in the LORD his God" (NASB). David was going through a horrible struggle and trial in his life. He was overcome by grief and sorrow, but instead of despairing he looked to God to be his strength. David turned to the only one who can support us and sustain us through all of life's ups and downs.

God is the one we should look to for strength and encouragement. Whatever struggles or hardships you may face take them to the foot of the cross, and find peace and rest in the arms of our precious Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

3 comments:

Under His Wings said...

Thank you Sara, for your encouragements about finding our strength in the Lord... He is the only one that can meet each need!
Love,
ma

Sara-Grace said...

Thanks for your comment, Ma. It is always a pleasure to know that one of my posts has been an encouragement to someone(:

Alison Mineko said...

Well said Sara... That was a very good reminder, and something that I've been focusing on learning. Thanks for sharing the verse about David, too!